Evening drawing class in the V&A
Time & Location
About The Event
For centuries the classically trained art student has drawn from casts and sculpture as a traditional starting point to learn how to draw the portrait. Following this tradition Nichola Eddery has designed two and half hour classical drawing course over two days in the Victoria and Albert Museum. This class will focus on learning how to draw the figure from renaissance and neoclassical sculpture.
This class will be taught by Nichola Eddery and will offer her unique blend of classical training by drawing directly from sculptures. Nichola has designed this workshop as a taster class, for those who are eager to experience an introductory class of traditional drawing. Through a step-by-step methodology, Nichola will provide demonstrations and exercises to help each student learn how to start a drawing, and learn how to achieve a clearer understanding of gesture, proportion and structure. This will be achieved through learning the inner movement curve, the envelope and the stages of the block-in.
This course will be comprised of two and a half hours of training in figurative drawing with an optional coffee break halfway through.
This workshop is designed for a small group of 1-7 people , so each student receives more one-to-one tutoring time with Nichola.
Students in full-time education and returning students receive a 10% discount.
Structure for the Evenings of the November 2nd
- 6.30 pm - 6.40 pm Meet and great in the Grand Entrance next to the information counter
- 6.40 pm - 6.45 pm Walk to The Dorothy and Michael Hintze Galleries; rooms 22-24
- 6.45pm – 7.55pm Drawing
- 7.55 pm– 8.05pm Optional break
- 8.05pm – 9.15pm Drawing
- 9.15pm Optional social gathering at the V&A Cafe
- 10pm Museum closes
- Course Details
- 2.5 hours of tuition
- Max 7 places
- All levels of drawing experience are welcome, including the complete
- Students in full time education receive a 10% discount and must provide their student ID on arrival to the lesson
- Nichola will provide one-to-one tuition to each participant during the evening
- The programme will provide demonstrations and exercises to learn the vital stages of a drawing; learning how to begin, proportion, structure and form.
- On receipt, you will receive the password to access the drawing handbook to prepare for the classes. The drawing handbook link is located at the bottom of every page on this website and is labelled 'Drawing Handbook'. Click on this link and then enter the password. The handbook is an instructive document that will provide information on the fundamental principles of drawing and other useful information.
- Essential supplies are to be purchased before the course and this includes, A4 drawing pad, 2B pencil, grey putty rubber, and an enclosed sharpener. This will cost under £10. The full list is on the Materials page and to access this page please click on the link at the bottom of every page labelled 'Drawing Materials and Suppliers'. The list can also be found in the drawing handbook.
- Students wishing to try red chalk or graphite and chalk on toned paper are welcomed to the class but must be purchased before the workshop commences
- Stools will be provided and are to be returned at the end of class
- Knitting needles will be provided for measuring and are to be returned at the end of class.
This workshop is for adults over 18 years of age, unless a minor over 16 year old has their parent's/guardian's express consent. Please inform Nichola if you require a parental consent form at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Max weight for Nichola' s stool is 90kg. If you prefer to use a V&A stool, they can be found near the members desk, but they are limited and often taken.
Please read terms and conditions for the cancellation and refund policy and remember bookings made less than three days prior the course commences is non-refundable.
Please inform Nichola if you have any special requirements and please do not hesitate to contact Nichola if you have any questions at email@example.com.
You do not need a Paypal account to pay. Please clink on the link and check out as guest to pay with debit or credit card.
- Student 10% discount£35£350£0