A Taste of the Royal Academy
Time & Location
About The Event
Nichola Eddery Atelier has teamed up with Comptoir Cafe & Wine to invite to our special event, which fuses a traditional drawing workshop at the Royal Academy of Arts (RA), with a five-star wine tasting experience at their beautiful venue in Mayfair.
As a starting point, for centuries the traditionally trained art student has drawn from ancient sculpture and old master works. Following this practice, Nichola Eddery has designed a two-and-a-half-hour traditional drawing workshop in the RA's Collection Gallery.
The drawing class will be taught by Nichola herself and will offer her unique blend of traditional training through drawing directly from the famous casts such as the Belvedere Torso or works from famous former RA artists dating back to first president, Joshua Reynolds. She has designed this workshop for those who are eager to experience an introductory traditional drawing class. The workshop will begin with a short introduction on the history of the RA, followed by an explanation of Nichola's step-by-step drawing methodology. Nichola will provide demonstrations and exercises to help each student learn how to start a drawing, and learn how to achieve a clearer understanding of gesture, proportion, structure, light, shadow.
After your two-and-half-hour workshop Nichola will take you to The Julia and Hans Rausing Hall; to view the new display in the Vaults, which lie hidden beneath the Main Galleries to reveal their story of 250 years of art teaching. After viewing the collection Nichola will direct you to your organised cars to be taken to Comptoir Cafe & Wine for your wine tasting experience.
Comptoir Cafe & Wine will offer you a bespoke wine tasting in their private cellar led by a knowledgeable Sommelier. On this occasion we shall be turning our focus to four French wines and offering canapés to complete the experience. We will also supply tasting notes and you’ll have the chance to interact and ask questions.
Comptoir Cafe & Wine was founded by the very accomplished Master Sommelier Xavier Rousset who was the youngest person to ever gain the illustrious achievement, so you can be sure the wine list will be impeccable.
Website for Comptoir Cafe & Wine: https://comptoir-cafe-and-wine.co.uk
Comptoir Café & Wine
21-22 Weighhouse Street
For anyone interested in attending the RA's current exhibition, 'The Renaissance Nude' in the morning before our event here is the link to book: www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibition/the-renaissance-nude . This exhibition will compliment the event beautifully.
There will be some extra availability limited to 12 people for the wine tasting, so if you wish someone to join you for the latter part of the day, tickets can be purchased separately below for £45.
Structure of afternoon (13.45 pm - 19.00 pm)
- 13.45 pm - 13.55 pm Meet and greet in the back entrance (Burlington Gardens Entrance)
- 13.55 pm - 14.00 pm Walk to the collection gallery
- 14.00 pm - 16.30 pm Drawing
- 16.30 pm - 17.15 pm View the collection, the vaults and escorted to arranged Taxis
- 17.15 pm - 17.25 pm Taxi ride
- 17. 30 pm - 19.00 pm Wine Tasting
- 2.5 hours of tutoring
- Max 8 places so each student receives more one-to-one tutoring time with Nichola.
- This workshop is for adults over 18-years-old
- All levels of drawing experience are welcome, including the complete beginner
- Nichola will provide one-to-one tuition to each participant during the class.
- The programme will provide demonstrations and exercises to learn the introductory stages of a drawing; learning how to begin, proportion, structure, light and shade.
- On receipt, you will receive the password to access the drawing handbook to prepare for the classes. The drawing handbook link is located at the bottom of every page on this website and is labelled 'Drawing Handbook'. Click on this link and then enter the password. The handbook is an instructive document that will provide information on the fundamental principles of drawing to help you prepare for class. You will also receive, a list of instructional drawing books, suggestions on how to continue with your practice and other useful information.
- Essential supplies are to be purchased before the class and this includes: A4 drawing pad, 2B pencil, a grey putty rubber and an enclosed sharpener. This will cost under £10. The full list is on the Materials page and to access this page please click on the link at the bottom of every page labelled 'Drawing Materials and Suppliers'. These lists can also be found in the drawing handbook.
- Students wishing to try red chalk or graphite and chalk on toned paper are welcomed to the class, but must be purchased before the workshop commences.
- Stools will be provided and are to be returned at the end of class.
- Knitting needles will be provided for measuring and are to be returned at the end of class
- Organised taxis to Comptoir Cafe & Wine
- 12 people for wine tasting
- 4 French Wines for tasting
Max weight for Nichola's stools is 90kg.
Please read terms and conditions for the cancellation and refund policy and remember bookings made less than three days prior the workshop commences is non-refundable.
This event will only go ahead with a minimum of 5 people.
If you have any special requirements or have any questions please email Nichola at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- RA Workshop & Wine Tasting£95£950£0
- Wine Tasting Only£45£450£0