A Half or Full-Day Drawing Workshop in the V&A
Time & Location
About The Event
For centuries the classically trained art student has drawn from casts and sculpture as a traditional starting point to learn how to draw the figure. Following this tradition Nichola Eddery has designed a 2.5-hour or 5-hour traditional drawing workshop in the Victoria and Albert Museum. This class will focus on learning how to draw the figure or the portrait from the renaissance sculpture or casts in the cast room.
This class will be taught by Nichola Eddery and will offer her unique blend of classical training by drawing directly from sculptures. Nichola will provide demonstrations and exercises to help each student learn the introductory stages of how to draw the figure or a bust. This includes how to start a drawing and learn how to achieve a clearer understanding of proportion, structure, form, value, light and shadow through line and tonal gradation. The morning will involve learning the envelope and the stages of the block-in and the afternoon will involve learning about the classic order of light and how one applies this through modelling the tonal gradation of light interacting with form.
This course will be comprised of two and a half or five hours of training in figurative drawing with optional coffee breaks during the classes and a lunch break halfway through. You can also book the afternoon workshop if you have completed the morning workshop on a previous day.
This workshop is designed for a small group of 1-6 people , so each student receives more one-to-one tutoring time with Nichola.
Students in full-time education receive a 10% discount. To claim your 10% discount please enter this code at checkout: student discount
Drop-in workshop classes are now available to purchase through block booking of four or six half-days. Nichola will personalise your learning experience and teach you additional exercises and techniques including how to block-in a portrait, inner movement curve, the block concept and to form model. You will also recieve Nichol'a block booking handout along with the drawing handbook and light theory handout. The block booking handout is a detailed document covering all the concepts you learnt over your course with additional information how to set up a successful workspace at home. You can also chose to focus on the figure or the portrait or both. To book, please choose the preferred block booking amount on the date you wish start. One must start with a morning half-day and then can chose their preferred date and time thereafter. Please inform Nichola no later than one week before the following preferred class dates and times to reserve your spot, but you have up to three days prior your selected date to change. If you fail to attend a lesson this will be counted as an attendance. Lessons must be used within 3 months.
Structure of day (half-day 10.30am - 13.00pm or full-day 10.30am - 16.30pm)
- 10.15 am - 10.30 am Meet and greet in the front hall
- 10.30 am - 13.00 am Lecture & Drawing
- 13.00 am - 14.00pm Lunch in the V&A Cafe
- 14.00pm - 16.30pm Lecture & Drawing
Returning Students who wish to book the afternoon:Structure of the afternoon
- 14.45 pm - 14.55 pm Meet and greet in the front Hall
- 14.00pm - 16.30pm Lecture & Drawing
What you will learn during the day
- Morning - You will learn about how to start a figure drawing, proportion, structure and gesture. This will involve learning the envelope, and the block-ins
- Afternoon - You will continue with your drawing and learn about the classic order of light, value, tonal gradation and how to draw the shadow pattern, mass in the shadow and start to model form
- Block booking four sessions - You will learn the above, practice more full-figure block-ins, how to block-in a portrait and learn to render form
- Block booking six sessions - You will learn the above, inner movement curve and block-concept
- Morning class - drawing handbook
- Afternoon class - drawing handbook and light theory handout
- Block booing sessions - drawing handbook, light theory handout and block booking handout
- 2.5 or 5 or 10 or 15 hours of tutoring
- Max 6 places
- All levels of drawing experience are welcome, including the complete beginner
- Students in full time education receive a 10% discount and must provide their student ID on arrival to the lesson
- Nichola will provide one-to-one tuition to each participant during the evening
- The programme will provide demonstrations and exercises to learn the vital stages of a drawing; learning how to begin, proportion, structure, form, value, light and shade and understanding how to convey the interaction of light on form through line and tonal gradation.
- On receipt, you will receive the password to access the drawing handbook to prepare for the classes. The drawing handbook link is located at the bottom of every page on this website and is labelled 'Drawing Handbook'. Click on this link and then enter the password. The handbook is an instructive document that will provide information on the fundamental principles of drawing and other useful information.
- Essential supplies are to be purchased before the course and this includes, A4 drawing pad, H, HB & 2B pencil, putty rubber, and an enclosed sharpener. This will cost under £10. The full list is on the Materials page and to access this page please click on the link at the bottom of every page labelled 'Drawing Materials and Suppliers'. The list can also be found in the drawing handbook.
- Students wishing to try red chalk or graphite and chalk on toned paper are welcomed to the class but must be purchased before the workshop commences
- Stools will be provided and are to be returned at the end of class
- Knitting needles will be provided for measuring and are to be returned at the end of class.
This workshop is for adults over 18 years of age, unless a minor over 16 year old has their parent's/guardian's express consent. Please inform Nichola if you require a parental consent form at firstname.lastname@example.org. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Max weight for Nichola' s stool is 90kg. If you prefer to use a V&A stool, they can be found near the members desk, but they are limited and often taken.
Please read terms and conditions for the cancellation and refund policy and remember bookings made less than three days prior the course commences is non-refundable.
If you need to fill out a parental consent form, you will find the form at the bottom of the website labelled 'Parental Consent Form' . Click on the link and you will be able print the page. Once completed you can either email Nichola the form to email@example.com or present the completed form on the day of the class. If the consent form is not completed the minor will not be able to attend the class. Nichola will only be responsible for a minor during class hours.
If you have any special requirements or have any questions please email Nichola at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Standard Full-day£70£700£0
- Standard Half-day£39£390£0
- Alumni Afternoon Half-day£39£390£0
- Block Book 4 Half-Days£124£1240£0
- Block Book 6 Half-Days£162£1620£0