A Half or Full-Day Drawing Sculpture in the V&A
Time & Location
About The Event
For centuries the classically trained art student has drawn from casts and sculpture as a traditional starting point to learn how to draw the figure. Following this tradition Nichola Eddery has designed a 2.5-hour or 5-hour classical drawing workshop in the Victoria and Albert Museum. This class will focus on learning how to draw the figure from the renaissance and neoclassical sculpture.
This class will be taught by Nichola Eddery and will offer her unique blend of classical training by drawing directly from sculptures. Nichola will provide demonstrations and exercises to help each student learn the introductory stages of how to draw the figure. This includes how to start a drawing and learn how to achieve a clearer understanding of proportion, structure, form, value, light and shadow through line and tonal gradation. The morning will involve learning the envelope and the stages of the block-in and the afternoon will involve learning about the classic order of light and how one applies this through modelling the tonal gradation of light interacting with form.
This course will be comprised of two and a half or five hours of training in figurative drawing with optional coffee breaks during the classes and a lunch break halfway through.
This workshop is designed for a small group of 1-7 people , so each student receives more one-to-one tutoring time with Nichola.
Nichola welcomes returning students to book the same half-day or full-day workshops. This will give students the opportunity to continue with their drawing or practice drawing new subjects until they master the introductory concepts. When you are ready to progress Nichola will be more than happy to tailor your learning experience and teach you the next stages.
Structure of day
Half-Day: 10.30am - 13.00pm
Full-Day :10.30am - 16.30pm
- 10.15 am - 10.30 am Meet and great in the front hall
- 10.30 am - 13.00 pm Drawing
- 13.00 am - 14.00pm Lunch in the V&A Cafe
- 14.00pm - 16.30pm Drawing
- What you will learn during the day
- Half day - You will learn about how to start a drawing, proportion, structure and gesture. This will involve learning the envelope, and the block-ins.
- Full day - You will continue with your drawing and learn about the classic order of light, value, tonal gradation and how to model form.
- 2.5 or 5 hours of tutoring
- Max 7 places
- All levels of drawing experience are welcome, including the complete
- Students in full time education receive a 10% discount and must provide their student ID on arrival to the lesson
- Nichola will provide one-to-one tuition to each participant during the evening
- The programme will provide demonstrations and exercises to learn the vital stages of a drawing; learning how to begin, proportion, structure, form, value, light and shade and understanding how to convey the interaction of light on form through line and tonal gradation.
- On receipt, you will receive the password to access the drawing handbook to prepare for the classes. The drawing handbook link is located at the bottom of every page on this website and is labelled 'Drawing Handbook'. Click on this link and then enter the password. The handbook is an instructive document that will provide information on the fundamental principles of drawing and other useful information.
- Essential supplies are to be purchased before the course and this includes, A4 drawing pad, 2B pencil, putty rubber, and an enclosed sharpener. This will cost under £10. The full list is on the Materials page and to access this page please click on the link at the bottom of every page labelled 'Drawing Materials and Suppliers'. The list can also be found in the drawing handbook.
- Students wishing to try red chalk or graphite and chalk on toned paper are welcomed to the class but must be purchased before the workshop commences
- Stools will be provided and are to be returned at the end of class
- Knitting needles will be provided for measuring and are to be returned at the end of class.
This workshop is for adults over 18 years of age, unless a minor over 16 year old has their parent's/guardian's express consent. Please inform Nichola if you require a parental consent form at email@example.com.
Max weight for Nichola' s stool is 90kg. If you prefer to use a V&A stool, they can be found near the members desk, but they are limited and often taken.
Please read terms and conditions for the cancellation and refund policy and remember bookings made less than three days prior the course commences is non-refundable.
If you need to fill out a parental consent form, you will find the form at the bottom of the website labelled 'Parental Consent Form' . Click on the link and you will be able print the page. Once completed you can either email Nichola the form to firstname.lastname@example.org or present the completed form on the day of the class. If the consent form is not completed the minor will not be able to attend the class. Nichola will only be responsible for a minor during class hours.
If you have any special requirements or have any questions please email Nichola at email@example.com.
You do not need a Paypal account to pay. Please clink on the link and check out as guest to pay with debit or credit card.
- Full day£70£700£0
- Full day Student 10 % discount£63£630£0
- Half day£39£390£0
- Half day student 10% discount£35£350£0