A Half or Full-Day Drawing from Old Masters in the National Gallery
Time & Location
About The Event
For centuries artists have drawn from their predecessors in museums to further their abilities. Following this tradition, Nichola Eddery has designed a two and half hour workshop in one the most renowned art collections in the world, The National Gallery.
This lesson will be taught by Nichola herself and will offer her unique blend of classical training through drawing 16th and 17th Century Old Master paintings, by artists such as Correggio, Titain and Rubens, to name a few. Nichola has designed this workshop as a taster class, for those who are eager to experience an introductory class of traditional drawing. Through a step-by-step methodology, Nichola will provide demonstrations and exercises to help each student learn how to start a drawing, and learn how to achieve a clearer understanding of gesture, proportion, structure, light and shadow. This will be achieved through learning the envelope and the stages of the block-in in the morning and if you choose to continue into the afternoon you will learn about the classic order of light and how you apply this to form modelling through tonal gradation.
This course will be comprised of two-and-a-half-hours of five-hours of training in figurative drawing with an hour for lunch for full-day bookings.
This workshop is designed for a small group of 1-7 people , so each student receives more one-to-one tutoring time with Nichola.
Nichola welcomes returning students to book the same half-day or full-day workshops. This will give students the opportunity to continue with their drawing or practice drawing new subjects until they master the introductory concepts. When you are ready to progress Nichola will be more than happy to tailor your learning experience and teach you the next stages.
Students in full-time education receive a 10% discount.
Students who have completed a full-day workshop or short course will receive a student 15% discount on their future full-day workshops. Students in full-time education who have also completed a full-day workshop or short course will receive a student 20% discount for their future full-day workshop.
Structure of the Workshop (half-day 10.15am - 12.45pm or full-day 10.15am - 16.15pm)
What you will learn during the day
Half day - You will learn about how to start a drawing, proportion, structure and gesture. This will involve learning the envelope, and the block-ins.
Full day - You will continue with your drawing and learn about the classic order of light, value, tonal gradation and how to model form.
- 2.5 or 5 hours of tutoring
- Max 7 places
- This workshop is for adults over 18-years-old, unless a minor over 16-years-old has their parent's/guardian's express consent
- Students in full time education receive a 10% discount and must provide their student ID on arrival to the lesson
- All levels of drawing experience are welcome, including the complete beginner
- Nichola will provide one-to-one tuition to each participant during the class
- The programme will provide demonstrations and exercises to learn the introductory stages of a drawing; learning how to begin, proportion, structure, light and shade
- On receipt, you will receive the password to access the drawing handbook to prepare for the classes. The drawing handbook link is located at the bottom of every page on this website and is labelled 'Drawing Handbook'. Click on this link and then enter the password. The handbook is an instructive document that will provide information on the fundamental principles of drawing to help you prepare for class. You will also receive, a list of instructional drawing books, suggestions on how to continue with your practice and other useful information.
- Essential supplies are to be purchased before the course and this includes, A4 drawing pad, 2B pencil, a grey putty rubber and an enclosed sharpener. This will cost under £10. The full list is on the Materials page and to access this page please click on the link at the bottom of every page labelled 'Drawing Materials and Suppliers'. These lists can also be found in the drawing handbook.
- Students wishing to try red chalk or graphite and chalk on toned paper are welcomed to the class but must be purchased before the workshop commences
- Stools will be provided and are to be returned at the end of class.
- Knitting needle will be provided for measuring and are to be returned at the end of class
Max weight for the stools is 90kg, but there are benches available in the chosen rooms too.
Please read terms and conditions for the cancellation and refund policy and remember bookings made less than three days prior the workshop commences is non-refundable.
If you need to fill out a parental consent form, you will find the form at the bottom of the website labelled 'Parental Consent Form' . Click on the link and you will be able print the page. Once completed you can either email Nichola the form to email@example.com or present the completed form on the day of the class. If the consent form is not completed the minor will not be able to attend the class. Nichola will only be responsible for a minor during class hours.
If you have any special requirements or have any questions please email Nichola at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You do not need a Paypal account to pay. Please clink on the link and check out as guest to pay with debit or credit card.
- Standard Half-Day£39£390£0
- Half-day student 10% discount£35£350£0
- Standard Full-Day£70£700£0
- Full-day student discount 10%£63£630£0
- Returning student 15% discount£60£600£0
- Returning student 20% discount£56£560£0