3 Friday Evenings of Drawing from Sculptural Masterpieces
Time & Location
About The Event
As a starting point, for centuries the traditionally trained art student has drawn from casts and sculpture. Following this practice, Nichola Eddery is offering a traditional drawing course over three Friday evenings in the Victoria and Albert Museum.
This short course will be taught by Nichola Eddery and will offer her unique blend of traditional training through drawing directly from the V&A's sculptural masterpieces. Through a step-by-step methodology, Nichola will provide demonstrations and exercises to help each student learn the vital stages of how to develop a drawing. This includes how to start a drawing and learn how to achieve a clearer understanding of proportion, structure, gesture, form, value, light and shadow through line and tonal gradation. These stages will be developed through learning the inner movement curve, the envelope, the stages of the block-in, the block concept, how light interacts with form and modelling. The evenings are very structured and follow on from the previous evening.
This course will be comprised of nine hours of training in figurative drawing. The evenings will be split into two, one-hour and twenty-minute sessions with an optional twenty-minute coffee break.
This short course is designed for a small group, so each student receives more one-to-one tutoring time with Nichola.
Structure for the Evenings of the October 5th, October 12 and October 19
- 6.30 pm - 6.40 pm Meet and great in the Grand Entrance next to the information counter
- 6.40 pm - 6.45 pm Walk to The Dorothy and Michael Hintze Galleries; rooms 22-24
- 6.45pm – 8.05pm Drawing
- 8.05 pm– 8.25pm Optional coffee/dinner break at the V&A Cafe
- 8.25pm – 9.45pm Drawing
- 9 hours of tutoring
- 3 x 3-hour classes
- Max 7 places
- This workshop is for adults over 18-years-old, unless a minor over 16 year old has their parent's/guardian's express consent
- All levels of drawing experience are welcome (from the complete beginner to the more advanced)
- Nichola will provide one-to-one tuition to each participant during the evening
- The programme will provide 6 demonstrations and exercises to learn the vital stages of a drawing; learning how to begin, proportion, structure, form, value, light and shade and understanding how to convey the interaction of light on form through line and tonal gradation.
- On receipt, you will receive the password to access the drawing handbook to prepare for the classes. The drawing handbook link is located at the bottom of every page on this website and is labelled 'Drawing Handbook'. Click on this link and then enter the password. The handbook is an instructive document that will provide information on the fundamental principles of drawing and other useful information.
- Essential supplies are to be purchased before the course and this includes, A4 drawing pad, 2B pencil, putty rubber, and an enclosed sharpener. This will cost under £10. The full list is on the Materials page and to access this page please click on the link at the bottom of every page labelled 'Drawing Materials and Suppliers'. The list can also be found in the drawing handbook.
- Students wishing to try red chalk or graphite and chalk on toned paper are welcomed to the class but must be purchased before the workshop commences
- Stools will be provided and are to be returned at the end of class
- Knitting needles will be provided for measuring and are to be returned at the end of class.
Max weight for Nichola' s stool is 90kg. If you prefer to use a V&A stool, they can be found near the members desk, but they are limited and often taken.
Please read terms and conditions for the cancellation and refund policy and remember bookings made less than three days prior the course commences is non-refundable.
Please inform Nichola if you require a parental consent, if you have any special requirements, or have any questions at email@example.com.
- 3 Friday evenings£120£1200£0